Saturday, May 28, 2011

I Made Yogurt!

We eat A LOT of yogurt at our house(Nancy's plain organic or Trader Joe's plain European style). We all prefer TJs European but TJs isn't in our weekly shopping routine, so usually it's Nancy's for us.

For a long time I've watched “yogurt-making" blog posts come through my news reader and periodically I even bookmark them to try another day.

Finally that day has come! Last week I was reading JD's blog post, “Learning to Give" and saw a link to another blog. His friend teaches a fundraising class at PCC and that kind of thing is just the sort of trail I follow. So I hopped over to her blog and while I was there, I found her post on making yogurt.

Her instructions were simple and within my reach. So 9:03pm Wednesday I started stirring the milk. I think it was boiling by 9:30. Around 10:15 (now I'm guessing because I wasn't paying attention to the time anymore) I mixed the 3T Nancy's yogurt with 1/2 cup milk and then put it all back together. We put it in a glass dish, wrapped with a towel, put it in the oven, and turned on the pilot light.

The next morning I went to the oven, pulled out the dish and that's an exact quote--“I made yogurt!"

It was warmish and still kind of runny at that stage. I put it in the fridge and by lunch time it was a lot like the TJs European style yogurt.  Eating yogurt as part of his breakfast Friday morning, Ryan commented that he really liked this kind of yogurt better than the other kind (Nancy's).

That was a successful experiment. I will repeat.

1 comment:

  1. So happy you tried it, and it worked for you! It's so fun (and easy)! Enjoy! ~Amy

    ReplyDelete